Alabama Department of Environmental Management
P.O. Box 301463 (Zip 36130-1463)
1400 Coliseum Boulevard (Zip 36110-2400)
Montgomery, Alabama

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM)Coastal Nonpoint Pollution Control Program is soliciting proposals for the set aside portion of the Clean Water Act – Section 319(h) Nonpoint Source grant funding award thru the Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 Performance Partnership Grant (CFDA # 66.605).

Proposals should describe how the recipient would provide for the development of a Coastal Alabama OSDS Technical Report and Category Summary (OSDS Tech Report) to directly address the unapproved conditions in the December 20, 2004 NOAA/EPA Interim Decision Document (IDD) for these categories.  This Coastal Alabama OSDS Category Summary and Technical Report should demonstrate the State’s efforts to implement and address components of the “Urban Areas – OSDS” category requirements as described on pages 4-97 through 4-118 in the 1993 EPA Guidance Specifying Management Measures for Sources of Nonpoint Pollution in Coastal Waters document.  Proposals should demonstrate how the Alabama Coastal OSDS I&M Program will be utilized to address the conditions for approval of the State’s coastal nonpoint Program Findings and Conditions.  This proposal should be designed and executed to meet the OSDS category items outlined in the ACNPCP Work Plan for Approval (November 2017) that were approved by NOAA-OCM and EPA for Alabama.

The recipient must address in the OSDS Tech Report the following federal Recommended Actions:

  1. Describe the methodology the state uses for determining the OSDS separation distance.
  2. Demonstrate that a high percentage of on-site systems (80-90%) will be inspected through the various voluntary approaches over a 15-year period.
  3. Complete development and continue implementation of a system to track OSDS inspections.
  4. Demonstrate that the state has dedicated funding to continue OSDS inspections and tracking in the future.
  5. Identify specific actions relating to OSDS measures that coastal Alabama is taking to promote the use of denitrifying OSDS systems in nitrogen sensitive waters.

Not later than May 31, 2020, the recipient will have to have completed education and outreach components for this project by conducting a minimum of 4 public workshops (2 in each county, Baldwin and Mobile) to present the information from the technical report, presenting the most current OSDS technologies information, including instruction in the implementation of these OSDS best management practices that have been researched and implemented through the ACNPCP and its related projects, all in order to better inform the public, enhance environmental awareness, and address these categorical land uses.

State and local governmental units, non-profit organizations, and public institutions are eligible.

The grant will reimburse recipients up to 60 percent, not to exceed $22,000, of the total approved project costs.  The remaining minimum 40 percent total project cost must be provided as real or in-kind non-federal match.  To be eligible for invoiced reimbursement, all costs must be incurred within the ADEM-approved project time period, not to extend beyond May 31, 2020. 

Proposals may be mailed or submitted electronically (preferred) to the ADEM.  Proposals must be received within 15 calendar days of this notice.  Availability of grant funds, amounts, and award schedules are conditioned on EPA’s budget as approved by Congress and subsequent allocation of grant funds to the state.  The ADEM reserves the right to wholly fund, partially fund, or not fund any proposal or any component of any grant proposal.

The contact person for this Request for Proposals is:
Mark Ornelas, Chief
Water Unit
Mobile Branch
Field Operations Division
Alabama Department of Environmental Management
Telephone (334) 450-3400

Notice is hereby given this 7th day of August, 2019, by authorization of the Alabama Department of Environmental Management.

Lance R. LeFleur,

Nondiscrimination Statement: The Department does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in the administration of its programs.